Monday, July 7, 2008

Be careful out there

Let me take a quick break from the normal religious inanities to another way that religion gets used - this time against the faithful. The following chain letter appeared in my mailbox the other day.


DONATION FOR THE LORD
From: Mrs. Monica Tema


PLEASE ENDEAVOUR TO USE IT FOR THE CHILDREN OF GOD.


The only place anyone can get my email address is from my blog, my writings in other forums, and from someone who has seen either of the two. I think it's really safe to say that I am not in the set of "Children of God"!

I am the above name person from Sierra-Leone.

Sure you are.

I am married to Dr Ebenezer Tema who worked with Sierra Leonian Embassy in South Africa for nine years before he died in the year 2001.

Right. Uh huh.

We were married for eleven years without a child.

Aww...that would be sad if it were true.

He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days. Before his death we were both born again Christians and we lived happilly. Since his death, I decided not to re-marry.

When my late husband was alive he secured $15Million (Fifteen Million U.S. Dollars) with financial institution here in Cote D'Ivoire. Presently, this money is still with the financial institution.


I suggest investing. Even a simple CD at 2% would produce a $300,000 income for you on $15,000,000. That's more than enough for anyone to live comfortably.

Recently, my Doctor told me that from all the test conducted on my health, I am not going to last long, expecially, due to my cancer and stroke. But what disturbs me most now is stroke.

Quick death worries you more than slow, painful, lingering death? Okay. I'd choose differently, but that's me.

Having known my condition, I decided to donate this fund to churches or Christian individual that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct. I want a church or individual that will use this money to fund churches, Orphanages and Widows. Also, the propagation of the work of God, building and maintaining the house of God through this money, is very important.

That would be why you sent this offer to a man who publishes commentary every day about how insane religions are. Got it!

The Bible made us to understand that Blessed is the hand that giveth. I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not Christians.

Quick hint, because I'm sure that my previous writings haven't been clear on this point: I'm not a christian either.

I don't want my husband's hard earned money to be misused by unbelievers, for their own selfish interest and in an ungodly manner.

So you mailed me for what reason again?

I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bossom of the Lord. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace.

Awwww, that would be so sweet again...if it were true.

I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health,

Now we get down to the brass tax of the scam. Don't call, because that would require a sick woman to talk on the phone. Every scam has ways of keeping the mark in a box and not checking the facts for himself. This is one.

and because of the presence of my husband's relatives around me sometimes. I don't want them to know about this development, but I know that With God all things are possible.

As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the Financial institution in Ivory coast. I will also give you all information regarding the deposit of this money. I will also issue you a letter of authority that will empower you as the original- beneficiary of this fund.


And there won't be and delays, red tape, or issues to overcome! Honest!

Well, as honest as the rest of this tripe.

I want you and your church to always pray for me because God work in misterious ways. My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Who ever that wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and truth. Please always be prayerful all through your life.

Any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing for a church or christian individual for this same purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated herein. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Remain blessed in the name of the Lord.

Yours in Christ,
Mrs Monica Tema


I spend an inordinate amount of time laughing and poking fun at religious people, but for this moment I'm on your side, religious folks.

The above scam is directly preying on your religious beliefs. They are targeting you with flowery words of praise and religious homage. But the bottom line is that they'll want to either have you pay "fees to get past a bit of red tape" or access to your bank account so it can be the final destination of their check kiting scheme and you're stuck with the final bill.

Never, ever respond to these evil scumbags. Remember, they sent this garbage to me. My lack of Christian beliefs are published every day and are exceeded only - perhaps - by a Dawkins or a Harris.

I do want people to recognize what the fables of religion can do for you (make you feel warm and fuzzy) and what they should not do (be used to explain the real world or set public policy). But what I do not want to see is anyone scammed. Unfortunately the state of mind that the religious are put into make them very, very vulnerable to this indeed.

Be careful out there.

No comments: