Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Gov. Bobby Jindal doesn't understand that we teach art in art class

Hey look! The current sitting governor of Louisiana, Gov. Bobby Jindal - and considered by Newt Gingrich to be “far and away the best candidate” to be McCain's running mate - wants Intelligent Design taught in science class. Here's the piece from his interview on Meet the Press:

I don’t think students learn by us withholding information from them. … I want them to see the best data. I personally think human life and the world we live in wasn’t created accidentally. I do think that there’s a creator. … Now the way that he did it, I’d certainly want my kids to be exposed to the very best science. I don’t want any facts or theories or explanations to be withheld from them because of political correctness.

Lets break this one down a bit, shall we?

I don’t think students learn by us withholding information from them

It's facinating how a professional politician can lie by ommission, isn't it? Lets take a moment to make a quick list of information that we "withhold from them" in science class:

The Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
How to properly spot someone who is lifting weights
The Queen's Gambit defense
How to hit a fastball
Which of Henry the Eighth's wives outlived him
The uses of oil based paints in modern artwork
How to play the clarinet
The book of Genesis

Do you see something in common here, Mr. Governor? I'll clue you in - none of these things are taught in science class because they - stay with me here - are not science.

All of them have a perfectly valid place to be taught to students. All of them are useful pieces of information that students will help themselves by learning. But they're still not science. And that - exactly - is why ID should not be taught in science class - it's not science either. It's a religious subject as per the United States courts. Including non-science in a science class is ridiculous.

I want them to see the best data.

Good! Then you support teaching only science in a science class. Right on!

I personally think human life and the world we live in wasn’t created accidentally.

Agreed! It nice that religious people and non-religious people can agree on this point. Although it's odd that religious people don't seem to understand that we're all in agreement on this one.

I do think that there’s a creator. … Now the way that he did it, I’d certainly want my kids to be exposed to the very best science.

There is nothing scientific about saying "Godidit"

I don’t want any facts or theories or explanations to be withheld from them because of political correctness.

Agreed! Science should be taught in science class because...it's science class. Shockingly enough, art should be taught in art class and music should be taught in music class and so on and so forth. Political correctness has nothing to do with this. Teaching the actual subject in a given class is the issue.

You know, after giving it full consideration...what am I thinking?!? Lets teach Intelligent Design in art class. After all, God is the source of all beauty, right? And it's an alternative view of art. And lets teach ID in music class since music is just a call out to God anyway!

So why are you stopping at science class, Gov Jindal? You're withholding ID from the poor students of every other subject!

No comments: